Crawford Art Gallery Logo
Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Current Exhibitions

CurrentUpcomingArchive
Back to main Building as Witness page

1-2 May 1922

The Library in Crawford Art Gallery, which accommodated the Cork (Free) Library between 1892-1905. The Gallery also facilitated monthly meetings of the Carnegie Free Library Committee following the Burning of Cork (1920). Photo: Jed Niezgoda.
The Library in Crawford Art Gallery, which accommodated the Cork (Free) Library between 1892-1905. Photo: Jed Niezgoda.

1 May

Last evening the Fire Brigade were called to an outbreak in a tenement house in Academy Street, and on arrival found that the room on the highest floor in the building was alight. The flames were however extinguished before much damage had been done.

(source Evening Echo,2 May 1922)

2 May

The Library in Crawford Art Gallery, which accommodated the Cork (Free) Library between 1892-1905. The Gallery also facilitated monthly meetings of the Carnegie Free Library Committee following the Burning of Cork (1920). Photo: Jed Niezgoda.

The Library in Crawford Art Gallery, which accommodated the Cork (Free) Library between 1892-1905. The Gallery also facilitated monthly meetings of the Carnegie Free Library Committee following the Burning of Cork (1920). Photo: Jed Niezgoda.

Carnegie Free Library*

The monthly meeting of the above was held yesterday afternoon at the School of Art…Replying to questions, the Librarian, Mr. Wilkinson, stated that nothing of a conclusive nature had been reached in connection with suggested sites for temporary library premises…The Chairman mentioned that it was at the suggestion of the Lord Mayor and Councillor Good that a meeting was called for the purpose of coming to some decision regarding the position in which the Committee stood concerning the library building.

It was decided that the Chairman should urge on the [Cork] Corporation the great need for providing temporary premises for the library before next winter, seeing the large number of readers who used the library and who had no other place in which to read.

*The original Cork (Free) Public Library opened in December 1892 at Nelson Place (later renamed Emmet Place) within the Crawford Municipal School of Science and Art (now Crawford Art Gallery). The newsroom was the first part to be opened with the ground floor facility allowing visitors to read a variety of Irish and English newspapers and magazines. In July 1893[MW1] , books became available for borrowing from the first floor lending library. The Cork (Free) Public Library operated in the building until 1905 when the Carnegie Library was opened on Anglesea Street. Subsequently completely destroyed in the Burning of Cork (1920), the Library was still yet to find a temporary building until June 1924.

(source: Irish Examiner, 5 May 1922; Cork: A Library Burned – A Library Reborn, Cork City Council Libraries, 2020)

Please Share:

Previous Posts

30 June / 1 July/ 6 July / 7 July 1922

30 June / 1 July / 6 July / 7 July, 1922

Read More
24 June 1922

24 June 1922

Read More
22 June 1922

22 June 1922

Read More
5/15 June 1922

5/15 June 1922

Read More
9/18/23/24 May 1922

9/18/23/24 May 1922

Read More
1-2 May 1922

1-2 May 1922

Read More
22 April 1922

22 April 1922

Read More
14/19 April 1922

6 / 8/ 12 March 1922

Read More
14 March 1922

6 / 8/ 12 March 1922

Read More
6 / 12 March 1922

6 / 8/ 12 March 1922

Read More
27 February / 5 March 1922

27 February / 5 March 1922

Read More
23/25 February 1922

23/25 February 1922

Read More
13/14/16/18 February 1922

13/14/16/18 February 1922

Read More
3/10 February 1922

3/10 February 1922

Read More
26/31 January 1922

26/31 January 1922

Read More
16 January 1922

16 January 1922

Read More
7 January 1922

7 January 1922

Read More
20/21/22/27 December 1921

20/21/22/27 December 1921

Read More
13/16 December 1921

13/16 December 1921

Read More
6 December 1921

6 December 1921
ANGLO-IRISH TREATY

Read More

Emmet Place, Cork, Ireland
T12 TNE6
Tel: 021 480 5042
info@crawfordartgallery.ie

Opening Hours
N.B. Last entry is 15 minutes before closing

Monday–Saturday 10.00am–5.00pm*
Thursday until 8.00pm

Sundays and Bank Holidays
Gallery: 11.00 am4.00pm
Café: Closed Sundays & Mondays

*Second floor closes 15 minutes before closing
TripAdvisor LogoPure Cork LogoIreland's Ancient East logoCork Digital Mareting Awards Winner 2021Cork Business Association LogoCovid Charter logo
Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sports and Media logo

© 2022 www.crawfordartgallery.ie

Crawford Art Gallery
Crawford Art Gallery Logo
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram