Marshall C. Hutson was an artist of great versatility. This retrospective celebrates the life and work of this much respected and influential artist.
The works shown in this exhibition are but a small part of the large and varied œuvre completed by Marshall Hutson during a career that spanned almost eighty years. Marshall C. Hutson (1903-2001) was originally from Nottingham, but adopted the city of Cork when he took up a teaching position at the Crawford School of Art in 1930 where he would continue to teach until his retirement in 1966.
Primarily a painter and sculptor working in wood and stone, Marshall C. Hutson also promoted a wide range of artistic disciplines both in his own practice and his teaching. He exhibited regularly at the Royal Hibernian Academy (R.H.A.) for over fifty years between the 1930s and 1980s, and in 1958 he was elected Associate of the R.H.A.
Hutson also exhibited at the Royal Academy, London.
A prolific artist, Hutson worked as a designer for the Irish Ballet Company, and received numerous commissions for church murals, public sculptures, including University College Cork, Cork Harbour Commission (completed in 1958). and Cork Public Library.
This exhibition is made possible with the kind support of the Marshall C. Hutson Estate.
Emmet Place, Cork, Ireland
Tel: 021 480 5042
General Opening Hours
N.B. Last entry is 16:45
(2nd floor closes at 4:45 pm)
Late opening Thursdays until 8.00 pm
(2nd floor will remain open until 7:45 m on Thursdays commencing 19 March)
Sundays and Bank Holidays
Gallery: 11 am–4 pm
Café: 11 am–4 pm
© 2020 www.crawfordartgallery.ie