Three Centuries of Irish Art from a National Collection
The State Apartments and Coach House Galleries, Dublin Castle
“The magnificent surrounds of Dublin Castle will provide an ideal backdrop for the Crawford’s first-ever exhibition in Dublin.”
Heather Humphreys TD
Minister for Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs
The Crawford at the Castle sees the collection of Crawford Art Gallery travel to Dublin for the first time in its near 200-year history.
Founded as a school of art and ‘saloon of sculpture’ in 1819, the collection at Crawford Art Gallery began with the prestigious gift of ‘Canova Casts’ from the Prince Regent who, as King George IV, visited Dublin in 1821. The Throne Room at Dublin Castle is so named for this visit. This is just one of the many resonances between these two institutions traced by the exhibition.
The Crawford at the Castle displays a selection of works from the gallery’s collection, which provide a survey of aspects of Irish art from 1730 to 2015. Displayed in the State Apartments and Coach House Galleries, the exhibition explores pertinent themes to such a historic setting, the former administrative centre of Ireland in the heart of our capital.
From the State Corridor which showcases Neoclassical prints and Romantic sketches, visitors to the exhibition will journey through themes of Enlightenment and Revolution in the Minerva Room, questions of National Identity in the King’s Room, images of our Environment and the Natural World in the Arts & Sciences Room, and expressions of the Artist at Activist in the Queen’s Room. In addition to these, ideas of Power and Knowledge are evoked in trough lens-based works exhibited in the Coach House Galleries in the neighbouring Dubh Linn Gardens.
This exhibition serves to highlight the continuing roles of Crawford Art Gallery as a National Cultural Institution for the visual arts and Dublin Castle as a place of historical, cultural, and political significance.
Curated by Anne Boddaert and Dr Michael Waldron
A companion catalogue, edited by Peter Murray and published by Dublin Castle, is available to purchase from mid-October 2016.
Works in THE CRAWFORD AT THE CASTLE exhibition:
Emmet Place, Cork, Ireland
Tel: 021 480 5042
General Opening Hours
N.B. Last entry is 16:45
(2nd floor closes at 4:45 pm)
Late opening Thursdays until 8.00 pm
(2nd floor will remain open until 7:45 m on Thursdays commencing 19 March)
Sundays and Bank Holidays
Gallery: 11 am–4 pm
Café: 11 am–4 pm
© 2020 www.crawfordartgallery.ie